In an effort to become a member of the International Cities of Peace which is a nonprofit organisation dedicated to promoting global cities of peace movement, POSTRI in collaboration AHDR has formed a committee entitled “Nicosia, Cyprus: City of Peace” for making the city of Nicosia a model city of peace and transforming it into an educating city.
The committe has outlined their goals as follows:
- Creating opportunities for children, youth and educators to engage in activities that foster critical thinking, multiperspectivity and understanding of the links between education and our perceptions towards “the other”,
- Taking action against any form of discrimination and advocating for respecting human rights,
- Re-examining school curricula to promote peaceful conflict-resolution, dialogue, consensus-building and active non-violence.
- Organizing activities that celebrate a Culture of Peace and Nonviolence,
- Joining forces with CSOs, community leaders, educational authorities and the gerenal public in Cyprus to ensure participation an democratic procedures while advocating for Culture of Peace,
- Taking measures to address the issue of symbolic manifestations of violence in the media and in schools through national commemoration and war games,
- Building partnerships with likeminded organizations and initiatives across the globe in order to create a strong network for a Culture of Peace,
- Training children, youth and educators in identifying and tackling issues of inequality and unequal distribution of resources at a local and global level and learning to live in justice and compassion,
- Advocating and compaingning for environmental sustainability and living in harmony with the Earth.
For more details, please visit: http://www.internationalcitiesofpeace.org/cities/nicosia/nicosia.html